Laliberté From Fromagerie du Presbytère Is Champion Of Canadian Cheese Grand Prix
Fromagerie du Presbytère’s Laliberté was crowned Grand Champion here this week at the ninth Canadian Cheese Grand Prix hosted every two years by Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC).
Laliberté, which was entered in the soft cheese/bloomy rind category, was selected by a jury of top Canadian food industry experts from 27 category winners.
The biennial contest was created to celebrate Canadian cheese made from 100 percent Canadian milk.
“From all the excellent cheeses the jury tasted, we found Laliberté to be the stand-out. This cheese truly distinguished itself in texture, taste and overall appearance,” said Phil Bélanger, Canadian Cheese Grand Prix jury chairman.
“Its exquisite aromatic triple cream with its tender bloomy rind encases an unctuous well balanced flavor with hints of mushroom, pastures and root vegetables,” Bélanger continued.
Laliberté farmstead cheese took a year and a half to develop and is made from exclusively Canadian cow’s milk.
Fromagerie du Presbytère manufactures, distributes and retails speciality cheeses.
Its Louis d’Or was notably named Grand Champion at the Canadian Cheese Grand Prix in 2011 and the Fromagerie has won numerous other national and provincial awards.
The Grand Champion and 27 category winners were selected from a record-setting 268 cheese entries submitted by cheese makers from Prince Edward Island to British Columbia.
The submissions were then narrowed down to 81 finalists by the jury in February.
This year, nine categories were added to the competition, including three Gouda categories based on cheese age and a stand-alone category for Smoked Cheese.
Canadian Cheese Grand Prix jury members tasted, touched and smelled each cheese, evaluating them for appearance, flavor, color, texture and body, and salt content before determining the following winners.
The Canadian Cheese Grand Prix category winners include:
• Fresh Cheese: Ricotta/Bella Casara, Quality Cheese Inc., Ontario
• Fresh Pasta Filata: Cherry Bocconcini cheese, Natural Pastures
Cheese Co, British Columbia
• Fresh Cheese with Grilling Properties: Le Paillasson de l’isle d’Orléans, Les Fromages de l’isle d’Orléans, Quebec
• Soft Cheese with Bloomy Rind: Comox Brie, Natural Pastures Cheese Co, British Columbia
• Cream-Enriched Soft Cheese with Bloomy Rind: Laliberté, Fromagerie du Presbytère, Quebec
• Semi-Soft: Fleur de Weedon, Fromagerie P’tit Plaisir, Quebec
• Washed- or Mixed-Rind Soft Cheese: L’Origine de Charlevoix, Laiterie Charlevoix Inc., Quebec
• Washed- or Mixed-Rind Semi-Soft Cheese: Raclette, Fromagerie Fritz Kaiser Inc., Quebec
• Washed- or Mixed-Rind Firm Cheese: Alfred Le Fermier 18 months, Fromagerie La Station, Quebec
• Firm Cheese: Heidi, The Farm House Natural Cheeses, British Columbia
• Swiss-Type Cheese: Louis d’Or, Fromagerie du Presbytère, Quebec
• Mozzarella or Pasta Filata: Oaxaca, Local Dairy Products, Ontario
• Brine-Ripened Cheese: Feta Cheese, Tiras Dairies Inc., Alberta
Gouda: Gouda Medium, Sylvan Star Cheese Ltd., Alberta
• Aged Gouda: Gouda Aged, Sylvan Star Cheese Ltd., Alberta
• Extra Aged Gouda: Mountainoak Farmstead Premium Dutch Gold, Mountainoak Cheese Ltd., Ontario
• Blue Cheese: Le Bleu d’Élizabeth, Fromagerie du Presbytère, Quebec
• Flavored Cheese with Added Non-Particulate Flavoring: Griffon Raclette, Fromagerie Fritz Kaiser Inc., Quebec
• Smoked Cheese: Gouda Smoked Natural Cheese, Sylvan Star Cheese Ltd., AB
• Flavored Cheese with Added Particulate Solids and Flavoring: Pepper Raclette, Fromagerie Fritz Kaiser Inc., Quebec
• Mild Cheddar: L’Ancêtre Organic Mild Cheddar, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Quebec
• Medium Cheddar: L’Ancêtre Organic Medium Cheddar, Fromagerie L’Ancêtre Inc., Quebec
• Old Cheddar: Traditional Clothbound Cheddar (9 to 12 months), The Farm House Natural Cheeses, British Columbia
• Aged Cheddar – 1 to 3 Years: Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar, Cows Creamery, Prince Edward Island
• Aged Cheddar – More than 3 Years: Extra Old Cheddar 5 Years, St-Albert Cheese Cooperative Inc., Ontario
• Farmhouse Cheese: Handeck, Gunn’s Hill Artisan Cheese Ltd., Ontario
• Organic Cheese: Alfred Le Fermier 18 months, Fromagerie La Station, Quebec.